The Nellie Spot

My Happy Place


While I was in LA a few weeks ago for work, a co-worker pointed out the way LA-liens refer to their highways and how dumb it sounds when you apply it anywhere but LA.

They refer to all the highways as "the". The 10. The 105. It seems fine when you're listening to the traffice reports in the morning there. But what if you applied that to NWA?

"How do I get from your house to the Nestlé office?"
"Well, first you go down Carley and turn West on the 412. Then you hit the 540 going North. You'll stay on the 540 until you get to exit 88 and then take the 72 East for about 1/4 mile, turn left onto NE McLain, then right onto NE Courtyard Loop."

In fact, I believe I'm going to start giving directions using "the" to identify all highways. I'm surprised Little Rock-ians don't already do this, as they feel they are the Arkansas equivalent to LA. :)

1 Responses to “California Context Craziness”

  1. # Blogger Shelli

    So Funny! I thought about that EXACT same thing when I came back from my business trip to LA last year.

    ...traffics heavy east bound on the 405 and the i-10 interdisbursal loop.  

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Photography. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger


make money online blogger templates



XML


© 2006 The Nellie Spot | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.