The Nellie Spot

My Happy Place


Allison, her sister, and her mother took off to Chicago on Wedesday to hang out, shop, and see the Antichrist...I mean, Oprah. They got really lucky: Vince Vaughn and the entire cast of Will & Grace were the guests! She's coming back Saturday to sleep off the tireless shopping excursion her mom & sister have taken her on. So what this all means is this: I'm a single parent. That's right! Mr. Mom!

It's been pretty easy so far (28 hours into my full-time parenting role). Today, Emma had "Kids Day Out" at FBC Springdale from 9:00 AM to 2:00 (followed by a lovely 3 hour nap). I have no problem feeding and putting Emma's clothes on. Now picking out clothes and fixing her hair are not so easy for me. (thankfully Allison laid out outfits for me to choose from and gave me a lesson in fixing her hair before she left). I have to admit, her hair and outfit looked pretty cute today! While she was at "school", I was going to play golf with Miller, but apparently, that whole "April Showers Brings May Flowers" saying is total BS because it rained out the game. So I sat at home and read about the new LOST game (if you're a follower, check out the new Hanso Foundation website!) and played a lot of Xbox 360. After Emma got up from her nap, we hung out for a while then went to McDonald's for a date. She ate literally 2 bites of a cheeseburger and 5 fries and chased it down with some Sprite. Then she played in the indoor playground for about an hour before we packed up and came home. She usually goes to bed around 8:00 - 8:30...but tonight? Not until about 9:30. Yeah, I'm an awesome Dad.

My problem lies within the fact that I have no earthly idea what to do with her all day tomorrow. It's supposed to rain, so there's not much hope of killing a couple of hours in the back yard. I can't do McD's again (another sign that I'm aging...I can't stomach that place like I used to). So, if you happen to have a great, clean indoor playground at your house, or have a bunch of child-loving pets, give me a call! We'd love to come over and hang out! I'm thinking we may do Chuck E. Cheese for lunch, then possibly a trip to Barnes & Noble (cool kids area to hang out in) followed by a trip to the "zoo" (aka PetSmart). If you're interested in coming, you're more than welcome!

We did have a "mommy" breakdown tonight after getting home from McD's. Emma likes to look at pictures on the computer. When the slideshow came to the first picture of Mommy, all hell broke loose! She ran around the house yelling and crying for her Mom. As a parent, there's no good way to remedy this...but to assure them that she's coming back and that you are here right now and they should enjoy hanging out with Dad for a while (she needs reminding of this quite often). Thankfully, Allison called from Chicago and talked to Emma on the phone, which calmed her down pretty quickly (thank the Lord).

I'll give an update tomorrow night, if I'm not passed out on the floor from exhaustion. Seriously, I love my daughter beyond words...but I am very accostomed to sitting in front of a computer all day talking to adults (who sometimes act like children, but at least you can understand most of the words they utter). This Mr. Mom thing is TOUGH! Nothin' but respect for you full-time Mommies out there! Word up, yo! Rather, Word to your mutha!

2 Responses to “Single Parenting: Day 1”

  1. # Blogger shauna

    LOL! i have a friend who calls oprah the anti-christ too. i thought he was the only one! that's a little extreme for me . . . but i could see how someone would think that . . . she does have a large following ;)  

  2. # Blogger Kristy

    Fun City is a great option! My brothers & I love taking the kids there when we're in town. We love the table hockey & skee ball! The pizza really is not bad there either. They have a 'mommy & me' combo that is a pretty good deal.  

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Photography. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger


make money online blogger templates



XML


© 2006 The Nellie Spot | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.