The Nellie Spot

My Happy Place


Mark me down as a fundamentalist right now...and if you're not very fundamentalist in your Christian doctrines, then you're probably going to get upset with this post. Forewarned.

I don't get this whole denominational movement toward allowing gay priests / pastors. The Lutheran's are meeting to vote on the issue. Here's my argument (with some devil's advocate thrown in, too):

Why I disagree with the idea of having a gay pastor / priest:
1) It's a sin, clearly laid out throughout the Bible in numerous places
2) If the person is actively living a gay lifestyle, they are living in sin and should not shepherd / pastor others in their walks (splinter / plank...)
3) Four words: Catholic church molestation scandal. I wouldn't want my son going to a gay priest for advice.

Devil's Advocate: (aptly named...)
1) Paul was a murderer of Christians and became one of the most influential New Testament apostles. But Paul didn't continue to murder Christians after he was converted. If a pastor is gay and not actively living a gay lifestyle but continuously turns toward Jesus for salvation and freedom from sin, then I have much less of a problem with that. Maybe I'm being like the Ananias, when he tells God that Paul is kinda known for killing Christians and that he didn't really want to meet Paul face to face and believe that he's been transformed by God's touch.

I have a real issue with all the church denominations meeting to discuss whether or not to allow gays in leadership. And I feel that my justification is Scriptural and relevant. But it's difficult to be objective of one's beliefs...so what do y'all think? Am I way off here?

3 Responses to “Appalled”

  1. # Blogger Cameron

    I couldn't agree with you more. And can I just say that its a shame that views like this have to now be classified as "fundamentalist" views.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Couldn't help but note that most molesters are NOT GAY!  

  3. # Blogger Nate's Nonsense

    I agree also. Even if most molesters are not gay, the point is that someone who is actively involved in a sin should not lead others. Everyone sins, I realize that. It's like John said, if you are not repenting/confessing your sin then you should think twice about leading. The church shouldn't let people who are knowingly sin lead their sheep.  

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Photography. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger


make money online blogger templates



XML


© 2006 The Nellie Spot | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.