The Nellie Spot

My Happy Place


Ok, so I finally got my remote control I was lusting after previously. I have to admit, I'm pleasantly suprised by how freaking cool and easy this thing is to use! If you've ever spent hours trying to hand-program a remote control (Push Macro Button 1, wait for everything to flash 3 times, then on the other remote, hit the 15 commands it takes to do what you want, then on the new remote, push down the Macro Button 1 and cross your fingers...did I just assign that to the wrong command? Start over), then you need to throw down the investment and get something like the Harmony 659 remote.

I plugged it into my computer via USB (unfortunately only 1.0) and went to the website to tell it what type of devices I have (TV, DVR/Satellite Receiver, DVD player, Xbox, Audio Receiver). It picked the exact model (not just some list of 4 codes that MIGHT work 10% of the features). Then it asked me how things are set up. I got to customize my LCD screen options for each device and activity. Then download the instructions to the remote, and sit down and watch TV without a hitch.

There is a bit of a learning curve on programming via the web application. To get the advanced features of each device, you need to understand the intricacies of your original device's remote. Since it's been a while since I've used the individual remotes for each device, I had to play around with the advanced stuff to get it working.

But now there's no worries on explaining to babysitters how to work the whole system. You hit "Watch TV" and everything turns on and sets itself up. And it handles PVR/DVR functionality which is hard to find on the $15 dollar versions (I tried a few of those previously without much luck).

And a selling point for all you Mac-heads out there, it glows a really pretty blue when you press any button. I know y'all are all about light up thingy's...so that alone should make you go get one! :)

2 Responses to “My Pimped Out Remote Control”

  1. # Blogger Jason

    What has America come to? ok, first of all - a site dedicated to remote control reviews. Secondly, a 17 page review of a remote control? I admit I looked at that site when I purchased my universal remote a few years back, but seeing it again made me realize how crazy that is. Think, someone writes those reviews / updates the site / manages the message boards.. its just insane.  

  2. # Blogger John Nelson

    No kidding! I mean, being a consumer, I relied heavily upon that review...but seriously. At the end of the day, it's just a thing that allows me to remain seated and spare my fingers from pushing a lot of buttons.

    And that review is MUCH longer than the instruction manual that came with the remote! Granted, everything is done via the web, but still. It's an exhaustive collection of remote control reviews. I can't believe I'm getting paid to do what I do when I could just play with technology and write about it. Cush jobs.  

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Photography. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger


make money online blogger templates



XML


© 2006 The Nellie Spot | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.