The Nellie Spot

My Happy Place


Last night, two really great bands played at the Gypsy in Fayetteville: the New Tragedies and the PaperHearts. Both have guys I skated with in college (that's an entirely separate story...) and I hadn't seen them in years. Todd Gill started/leads PaperHearts and Aaron Weidner and his wife formed the New Tragedies. Seth came down from KC, so I got to see him, too. It was good just to say hi and do some quick catching up.

So I'm not really the bar-attending type. Todd England was going to go with me to the show, but he totally stood me up for some girl (the NERVE!). But in all honesty, I would rather Todd finally get hitched, so if that means standing me up then that's fine....once. :) Without anyone specific to hang out with, I enjoyed my time off to the side people-watching (and bars are amazing places to observe people). I've never been to the Gypsy on Dickson street. I sat outside on the patio for about 45 minutes listening to a really great cover band and laughing at the drunken idiots surrounding me. The New Tragedies were supposed to start at 10:00 (ish), so I got there right around 10:00. After 45 minutes, I realized that the cover band wasn't going off stage for a while. I walked around and discovered that the Gypsy has an INSIDE, too! Lucky me! The band was just setting up. I talked to Seth for a while, catching up with him. Then caught Todd for a short while, too. The New Tragedies played a great show! They have a great style...pretty mellow, mixing incredible vocals. Aaron and Bev's voices compliment each other extremely well. They played several songs, then let the PaperHearts take the stage. They started around midnight or a little after, I think. Now, the PaperHearts are freaking amazing! They have like 5 members, and lots of instuments. Their style...I can't even explain. It's just awesome. The vocals / music / energy is combustible! I stayed until about 1:30, then couldn't take it any longer...I was so tired. It was a great show, and I would recommend seeing either of these bands play if you get the chance.

1 Responses to “Out of my Element”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Thanks, man. The show was super fun. I'm glad you braved the night crowd and waited to see us. See you at the frat rail.

    -TG  

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Photography. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger


make money online blogger templates



XML


© 2006 The Nellie Spot | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.