The Nellie Spot

My Happy Place


Josh Hale and I were talking a few days ago on the phone. He mentioned that his old school superintendent from Mena had been in Johnson for many years and was now going to run for mayor of Johnson. I think that's awesome.

Following that train of thought, it somehow came up that I should run for a position on Johnson's city council. Not sure which one of us mentioned it first. Of course, we were joking. Since that conversation, though, I can't stop thinking about how cool it would be to sit on the city council! My ex-neighbor is on the city council and she loves doing it. She also didn't have many qualifications for the position she holds. So, I'm seriously considering going up to city hall and inquiring about how to get on the ballad. I honestly have no clue what any of the positions actually do...but I'd love to have a position where I could voice opinion about the governance of my beloved little town!

The only 2 things I can currently think about as far as a platform would be:
  • Traffic: helping the Streets Dept actually think through their decisions. A great example would be the lack of a left turn signal at Main St and Carley that backs traffic up for miles after work.
  • Johnson's image: set limits of business building types that can be built in the city limits. For instance, at the rate we're going, Johnson will be 90% strip mall in the next 3 years. And that has to stop. It's shameful. Before long, when all the businesses go under, we'll be a town where you'll only see colored rock shops and broken down antique shops that sell crap.
Any other thoughts on how Johnson could change for the better?? ANd thanks in advance for your votes. You'll get a free "Nellie for City Council" button.

4 Responses to “Johnson City Council”

  1. # Blogger Cameron

    You've got my vote.

    ...although I should mention that I don't live in Johnson.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I know the Johnson Treasurer. The stoplight is in the works, it'll happen soon.

    Chris  

  3. # Blogger John Nelson

    Thanks for the info, Chris!

    Heger, I appreciate the support, though I know you're REALLY only in it for the button.  

  4. # Blogger Lafe

    I will move to johnson just to vote for you...and when I say move to Johnson, I mean I am going to move into your office...  

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Photography. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger


make money online blogger templates



XML


© 2006 The Nellie Spot | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.